From earliest times bells have been traditionally linked to the practice of Christianity; used to summon people to worship, to celebrate major events and ‘make a joyful noise to the Lord’. All Saints & Holy Trinity has an enthusiastic band of ringers, ranging in age from eight to eighty.
The eight bells at All Saints were cast and installed in 1842 by Mears and Stainbank (now the Whitechapel Bell Foundry). They remain in their original wooden frame, but in 1922 were re-hung with ball-race bearings. They stayed in place even when the top of the tower was blown off by a bomb in Wandsworth High Street during WWII.
Ringing resumed after repairs to the tower and bell-frame, but there followed extended periods when the bells were not rung due to concerns about the safety of the tower and the installation. A partial refurbishment was carried out in summer 2013 by John Taylor and Co. enabling the bells to be rung for limited periods once more.
The bells of Holy Trinity are generally considered to have one of the finest peals of eight bells in the area. They were cast and installed in 1926 by Taylor’s of Loughborough, the gift of Colonel Thomas Francis Parkinson who lived locally, in memory of his wife and son. The tenor (heaviest) bell weighs ¾ of a tonne, and carries the inscription:
'To the glory of God and in loving memory of Thomas Francis Harley Parkinson Lieut. Royal Navy B. 1900 * D. 1925 And of Frances Ursula, his mother B. 1872 * D. 1905 Daughter of E. A. Harley of Loughborough We eight are dedicate'
In addition to the regular ringing, the bells are rung each 27 November, the birthday of Lieutenant Parkinson.
In 2000, a sound-control system was installed to reduce the volume of the bells outside the church during practices and extended periods of ringing.
More information on the Holy Trinity bells with their weights etc. can be found in Dove's Guide for Church Bell Ringers.